What Backgrounds Work Best For Professional Headshots?
Best Backgrounds for Professional Headshots
The background for professional headshots holds immense sway over the photo’s overall aesthetic. It can shape the look and feel of the image, leaving a lasting impression on viewers. Whether you’re taking a headshot for your LinkedIn profile or your company’s website, choosing a background that will make you stand out and look professional is essential. In this guide, we’ll explore some of the best backgrounds to consider for your next professional headshot.
BEST BACKGROUND COLOR
When it comes to professional headshots for corporate photos, it’s best to choose a solid-colored background that is neutral and does not distract from the subject. The most commonly used colors for this purpose are shades of gray.
- Gray backgrounds provide a clean, classic, and professional look suitable for most industries.
- This is a popular choice because it can subtly contrast the subject’s skin tone, making the photo more dynamic and visually attractive.
- Gray also provides a sophisticated and timeless look that can work well for executives or other high-level positions.
- Gray backgrounds are a good choice for professional headshots for platforms like Linkedin, email signatures, and company directories.
Pro tip: Know what your headshot will be used for before you decide on the look you want.
A black background for a professional headshot can create a dramatic and elegant look suitable for formal business settings or creative industries.
- Black can contrast the subject’s clothing or accessories, creating a high-impact image that captures attention and conveys a sense of authority and sophistication.
- The best background color for professional headshots will depend on the style you are looking for. Black is a good option for most industries, including the medical field, law, corporate, and freelancers.
- Black backgrounds are also a good option as they do not compete with the subject for attention. Black does not detract from the main focus of the photo, which is the person’s face.
- Black is neutral and makes the subject stand out in the photo.
- A black backdrop is also eye-catching when someone is scrolling on platforms.
Pro tip: a light-colored neutral outfit looks best on a black background for a headshot.
CLASSIC WHITE BACKDROP
One of our favorite professional headshot backgrounds is white. This is another classic option that can provide a clean and modern look.
White is a versatile color that can work well for a variety of industries, including:
Additionally, white can make the subject’s features and clothing stand out, creating a crisp and polished image. Think about the tone and style you want to convey. The background you choose for your headshot can significantly impact the tone and style of the photo. A plain and neutral background may be the best choice if you want to convey a professional and serious tone.
Consider using a natural setting as your background to create a more relaxed and approachable look. A natural setting is an excellent option for a professional background for a headshot. When using an environmental headshot, keep these backgrounds in mind:
- A pathway with greenery in the background
- Headshots are taken outdoors in a park
- A Garden
- The front of a brick wall can add a touch of personality to your photo and help you stand out from the crowd.
- In front of an office building with modern architecture.
- Business courtyard with lovely landscaping.
- Abstract backgrounds can add visual interest to your photo and showcase your personality and creativity.
Backgrounds to avoid:
- Avoid overly busy backgrounds
- Distracting objects in the background
- Too bright
Pro tip: Whether you opt for a classic solid-colored background or a creative abstract backdrop, ensure it reflects your personality and enhances your professional image.
BEST BACKGROUND FOR PROFESSIONAL HEADSHOT
Below you will see examples of headshots where the background is cut out. A process where we remove the background and replace it with a digital background. Cutting out and replacing the background of an image is known as “image compositing” or “background removal.” Here are the general steps involved in this process:
- Please select the image: First, select the image you want to remove from its current background. Ensure the subject is well-lit and has a distinct edge to make it easier to separate from the background.
- Choose a new background: Choose a new background for the image. This can be a solid color, a gradient, a texture, or an image. Make sure that the new background matches the mood and style of the subject.
- Overall, cutting out and replacing the background of an image requires a combination of technical skills, creativity, and attention to detail. It can be time-consuming, but the result can be a professional-looking image that effectively communicates your message.
Get your professional headshots with us today! Book now!